Binge eating disorder test -symptoms, causes, severity, prevention
Binge eating disorder test
First of all Binge eating disorder test, understand the meaning of binge. Binge means “something that is done uncontrolled or excessively”.
So Binge Eating Disorder means any disorder that is related to excessive or uncontrolled eating. The symptoms of BED are eating for up to 2 hours, eating very fast etc. The causes are unknown
but there are some that may be. The treatment is medicines, physiotherapy etc.
Here we will discuss the detail of the symptoms, severity (mild, mod, extreme and severe), causes, risk
factors, treatment and also preventive measures that we can take to avoid BED.
There are many symptoms that we discuss now:
- Excessive eating: As this disorder leads to excessive eating so a person with this, can’t control
him/herself from eating for almost 2 hours.
- Fast eating: A person eats very fast.
- Feels uncomfortable: He/she will eat until feels uncomfortable in the stomach or full to the
- Eats either hungry or not: Eats either he/she is hungry or not. Because it is uncontrolled.
- Eats alone: He/she always eats all alone because of being taunted or judged by others.
- Feels guilty: They feel guilty and want to stop eating but are not able to do so.
Note:Binge Eating Disorder is entirely different from Bulimia Nervosa. In Binge Eating Disorder
there is no compensatory behaviour (which means the behaviour that repays for overeating e.g
The severity of BED:
If binge eating remains for 3 months, it means he/she suffers from BED. The severity of BED is listed
Mild: if it occurs 1 to 3 times per week.
Mod: if it occurs 4 to 7 times per week.
Severe: if it occurs 8 to 13 times per week.
Extreme: if it occurs 14 times per week. (which means almost 2 times per day)
Binge eating disorder test
The causes of BED are unknown but this may be:
- Genetic problem: This may be due to genetics (a branch of biology with deals with
genes and hereditary.)
- Biological factors: This may be due to some biological factors.
- Long-term dieting: This may be due to long-term dieting. Due to long-term dieting,
there is the urge of eating too much which may lead to BED.
- Physiological factors: There may be some other physiological factors that are
related to emotional stress, etc.
- Stress and abuse: The common cause of BED is taunt, stress, any kind of abuse,
death of a close one and bullying in childhood due to weight.
Women have more cases of BED than Men:
Women have more cases of BED than men
- According to research In the USA, women go through BED with an aspect of the ratio
3.6% at some point in their lives. While men experience 2.0% go through BED compared
- According to another research in the USA from 2018-2019, almost 466100 women have
BED aged from 20-29.
Number of females with eating disorders from 2018 to 2019, by age and condition
- According to another research in the USA from 2018-2019, almost 84700 men have BED
aged from 20-29.
Number of males with eating disorders from 2018 to 2019, by age and condition
The risk factors of BED are listed below:
• Obesity: Due to overeating, leads to obesity.
• Risk of diabetes, heart attack: Due to obesity, a person suffering from BED is at a greater
risk of diabetes, heart attack etc.
Medical comorbidity – eating disorder
• More health problems than normal: Research have also shown that a person with BED
much more likely to develop various health problems than compared to a non-BED person.
• PCOS and infertility: In women, due to this condition leads to the development of PCOS and
also complications in pregnancy.
• Approximately 50% of people suffering from BED have obesity. And 20-25% of those who go
through some surgery which causes their weight loss which leads to overeating or BED.
•one Research also shows that 146 people were found to have more symptoms of insomnia than those
The common treatments are:
• physiotherapy (because overeating may be due to some emotional stress and eating is the way
to relieve stress. It must be treated by a physiatrist.)
• medicines (medicines also is the way to cure BED)
• self-help group ( it is also the best way to cure BED by controlling the weight.)
• Weight loss (it is also a very good way to cure BED but avoid dieting, cut down on junk foods and eat
healthy foods that also help in weight loss.)
The preventive measures for BED are:
• Avoid dieting: Instead of dieting, eat healthy diets and do not completely cut down on
certain foods. Avoid junk foods.
• Regular intake of meals: Take regular meals which helps to reduce overeating due to the
the same pattern of eating.
• More intake of water: More intake of water also decreases overeating and also lows calories.
• Yoga: Yoga helps to relax the mind and body. Due to less stress, overeating can be avoided.
• Exercising: Exercising is also the best way as it helps to lose weight and furthermore boost
mood and relieve stress.
• Intake of fibre: Fiber also helps in reducing calories. Because when we take food rich in fibre it
helps to full stomach faster. Wholegrain cereals, fruits and vegetables are rich in fibre.
• Intake of Protein: Proteins also helps in reducing calories.
• Sleep: Sleep also helps to prevent BED. A person should take 8 hours of sleep daily.
• Meal planning: Meal planning helps to improve lifestyle which leads to preventing BED.
• Refresh mind: Mindfulness helps to relieve stress. Keep in mind that it is a physiological
disorder so refreshment of the mind helps to boost mood.
Binge eating disorder (BED) is a more or less physiological disorder that affects many people all
around the world. It can be treated by a physiatrist, medicine and most important by a healthy and
Binge eating disorder test